Time to consider a place I shop at least once a week and ask “Why isn’t there a Safeway App for that?” That’s right there’s been no real advance in Supermarket shopping in ages. Well a some stores have tried self-checkout (I’ve seen it more in Britain). Most have some form of loyalty program. Gee I get discounts for keying in my number. Then if I don’t have a number the clerk keys one in anyways. Then that rash of stupid printed coupons when I’m leaving. Where’s the trash?
Now how perhaps should this all work?
- Well Siri does a good job on my shopping list. So lobby for adding Siri access to my Safeway app. Let other members in the family also add to that list. Make sure that when anyone goes into Safeway… they get the family desires list!. Activate that list when they go inside the shop or perhaps are nearby.
- Incent me to turn on my Safeway App or link to my reminders so that I get a location based notification when I enter the store. This should have my list, special deal options, and have you forgotten based on my passed history and recent monthly purchase behavior.
- Make it easy for me to scan my cart as I pick up stuff. Eliminate my waiting in line to get out. Let me bag as I go. Random scan me when I go out from time to time. Offer up things like easy to read nutrition or label details as I scan things. (too hard to read too many labels… make them phone friendly summaries.
- Consider new type of price offers. Eg you bought 12 last year. Buy 10 now and pick them up when you want…. In other words. Introduce some pre-ordering opportunities to increase Safeway’s buying efficiencies. Eg confirm a buy in the future.
- Keep things like a running total of spend. Provide opportunities to save money or improve my budgeting and meal planning. Consider opportunities to let the app speak to me. Help me with recipes there and then. Help me with meal ideas. Make the Safeway brand really work for me.
- Enable me to order “hot food” for quick pick-up. Let the app notify you when I am within x minutes of pickup. Move the register to my phone again!
- Provide me with details on how I shop and what I buy.
- Let me make requests? Eg that special marmalade, or mustard. Offer my request to others like me. Poll us… to see what we can buy or what can be sent for special pickup. Let me request things I see in other stores. Let me scan those items and submit.
- Then there are those last minute deals. Eg dated product or what soon will be. Do I want to rush on over? Some will. Butchery discounts etc.
- When users start scanning and a store takes this type of purchase approach. The idea of NFC for transacting a payment is almost ludicrous. My details are/will be on file.
- When Safeway creates an account where I might spend $000′s per year. They create many other opportunities in the future. Eg I could lend to them / place savings. Accrue savings… like stamps etc. One day use this account elsewhere. Eg the gas station etc.